Monday, May 30, 2005

The bus

Since we sold a second car, we've been getting by with just one car here in Guadalajara. I initially took taxis to work until I found a cheaper way: the bus.

I usually take bus 634, or the 622 changing to the 629. The cost can't be beat: about 37 cents per ride (MX$4.00). But at what cost? Well, there's the daily humiliation of walking past our neighbors' gleaming cars and SUVs as I walk to or from the bus stop. There are also the occassional incidents from which I've learned.

One time, I got on a very packed bus - entering thru the back entrance since that was the only space I could squeeze in. At every stop thereafter, I would have to get off briefly to let other passengers off, whereupon I would get back on. At one stop, however, as you may have already guessed, me and another passenger got off and just as we were about to jump back on, the doors closed and the bus roared off! We were banging on the door, running alongside for a few feet - to the indifferent looks of the lucky passengers who were still on board.

Another time, I was running late for the bus and tried hailing down a taxi (here in Guadalajara, most taxis are yellow Nissan Sentras (Tsuru)). The S.O.B. just drove right by me without paying any mind. As luck would have it, the light at the corner turned red and I was able to catch up to it. As I walked up, I saw that the driver was happily grooving to some radio tune and his sandwich was sitting on the passenger seat. Unusual, I thought, to have a sandwich where I was about to sit! Just as I was about to open the door, he looked up at me and, waving his finger, said with urgency "No es taxi! No es taxi!" Lesson: do not buy a yellow Sentra in Guadalajara!

Yet another time, I hailed a bus and, when the door opened, I got a little concerned. The driver was thin, scrawny and - the most disturbing part - cross-eyed. But then, I thought, what the heck - the bus always wins! Nevertheless, just to add to my concern, everytime he hit the brakes, the entire bus violently shuddered.

About twice now, I've had to cram myself into an overcrowded bus just to have the door close on my backpack - leaving my backpack outside the bus.

But, for four pesos, can I really complain?