Friday, March 21, 2008

Go Vap Orphanage


I thought it was about time I posted some photos of the orphanage I've been visiting since September. On Thursdays I have been feeding babies and playing with toddlers at a state-run orphanage here in HCMC with other women from our expat community. Currently, there are about 30 babies in the nursery and about 15 kids in the toddler room. Probably all but 10 are healthy and adoptable. Mostly, these little guys were born with congenital defects like cleft lip/palate or a heart condition. One little guy turns blue every now and then...but I'm mostly used to that now. Like all babies, they love to be cuddled, sung to, tickled and cooed. The staff speaks very little English and we speak very little Vietnamese so we mostly use sign language to communicate. Go Vap is a well-oiled machine. It employs at least a hundred people who cook, clean, guard, do laundry, and are doctor, nurse, physical therapist and nursemaid to these children. With that said, you wouldn't mistaken it for a private hospital or preschool. The staff isn't well paid or up-to-date on training. Still, they do their best to take care of the children there. I leave exhausted but it's the highlight of my week to cuddle, sing, coo and play with those beautiful children.